Her hypothesis is based on these findings...
Requirements of Arctic and Urban Ecology
- The flat tundra/ and or sea ice provide few distinctive visual markers for hunters to rely on
- Inupiat's had to rely on small visual cues
- Traveling through featureless terrain
- They had to develop small landmarks and their locations
- The Inupiaq language may increase the speakers' awareness for visual concepts
- They live in a hunting culture
The thesis and her findings are extremely well done, I advise anyone who wishes to further understand the importance of eyesight in Inupiat culture to check out her site.